A male asked:

I am a 58 year old woman, who's feet are always cold and in pain i have been in good health although 3 years ago i had some ms type symptoms but the spinal fluid came back normal.

Dr. Howard Fox
Podiatry 43 years experience
When : When you say your feet were "always" cold and painful, this has been a lifelong problem, or it developed recently? I ask, because your answer makes a significant different in my opinion of the problem. If it's a lifelong issue, it may just be that the arteries in your feet and lower legs are in spasm, causing the lumen of the vessels to be narrower, causing less blood to flow, and giving you cold (and even painful) feet. I am describing raynaud's disease or phenomenon. While you haven't really been diagnosed with ms, there is an association between ms and raynaud's. If your feet have recently become cold and painful, i would focus on your circulation. Does walking cause pain in your legs that forces you to stop and rest? Is it painful to elevate your feet? Are your toes white when you elevate them or red when you let them hang down? These are all signs and symptoms of pad (peripheral arterial disease), and should be worked-up by a vascular surgeon. I hope this give you some added insight as to the best way to proceed.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Olav Jaren
Neurology 20 years experience
Foot symptoms: Having symptoms like that in your feet may indicate something bothering the nerves in your legs, such as peripheral neuropathy, rather than MS. The spinal fluid is only one test for MS however, so nothing is certain about the cause in this case. A repeat history and examination should be the next step.
Last updated Oct 3, 2016