What is this lump on my gums? i discovered a sort of bump on my gums in the far back by a bad tooth. at first it was hard and it freaked me out, but now it almost feels like it's collecting puss. it doesn't really hurt at all. it's softer now. i'm going t

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
Making : Making a diagnosis of your problem over the internet, sight unseen, without a radiograph, is not prudent. It may be an abcess coming from an infection in yout tooth or from a periodontal pocket if that tooth has periodontal bone loss. Either way the tooth needs to be treated if it is sound, otherwise it will need to be extracted before the infection spreads and gets worse.
Dr. Jonathan Scharf
Cosmetic Dentistry 49 years experience
The : The best peace of mind will come from knowing that as soon as you make an appointment you will have started on the road to finding the solution to your problem. Without a clinical look or x-rays a true diagnosis is impossible but some sort of infection is probably brewing. The sooner you get evaluated and treated the better the outcome, so don't hesitate. Make the call for peace of mind.
Dr. Peter Certo
Dentistry 29 years experience
Without : Without a visual and/or radiographic examination, it is impossible to say. With that being said, it would be a good idea to get to a dentist asap. Soft swellings are usually a sign of infection.
Dr. Neil McLeod
Prosthodontics 49 years experience
I : I am not sure that hearing what we think is wrong with you is going to put your mind at rest, but is does sound as though you have an abscess (a collection of puss in an otherwise sterile space in the bogy). Please go and get your dental health completely reviewed. Let's get some good clear x-rays and find out what is wrong. It may be possible to do root treatment and save the tooth. The doctor will be able to help. Best wishes dr neil mcleod dds dentistry that lasts quality that counts.
Dr. Todd Botwin
Dentistry 9 years experience
It : It is an abcess.. There is an infection and the puss is collecting you need either a root cannal or extraction depending on the xray. And the amount of tooth remaining.

Last updated Apr 5, 2020