Slight elbow pain a co-worker rough playing grabbed and torqued my wrist hard outwardly causing a sudden sharp pain on the outside of my elbow. this was about a week ago. no swelling and movement seems normal but tenderness and slight pain persist. sho

Dr. Anthony Wei
Orthopedic Surgery 21 years experience
Based : Based on your description, it's unlikely that you had a bony or joint injury to your elbow. You may have strained the tendons on the "outside" or lateral side of your elbow. In general, initial treatments with ice, anti-inflammatories (i.e. Ibuprofen), and gentle range of motion may be beneficial. I would not recommend immobilizing the elbow for an extended period of time. If it continues to bother you after several weeks, i would have it checked out. Your physician will determine if an x-ray would be necessary after an examination.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 3, 2016