Should i have my gallbladder remove? i have been diagnose with gallstones. im not vomiting, nor do i have fevers or chills, but i have some discomfort on my stomach, burning on the right side which wraps around my back and pressure on my lower abdominal

Dr. Donny Peterson
20 years experience
Your : Your physician and surgeon should have reviewed the pros and cons of a cholecystectomy now versus waiting for worsening symptoms. There is always a possibility of another source, but when a well known cause of upper abdominal pain is identified, additional work up is unlikely to identify a reason not to remove the gallbladder. Removal of the gallbladder poses the least amount of risk when it is not inflamed (cholecystitis) and if the stones are small, there is an ongoing risk of pancreatitis as long as the gallbladder and stones remain. A full history, physical exam, and studies have been performed by your physician; i recommend following your surgeon's advice or seeking another opinion. A laparoscopic cholecystectomy is easier to recover from than an open procedure or pancreatitis. Don j peterson, md facebook.Com/donpetersonmd.
Dr. Mark Hoepfner
Surgery 40 years experience
Your : Your description of your symptoms of right sided pain that goes into the back, gas and belching, sounds very much like the symptoms many people describe from their gallstones. The symptoms are usually made worse after eating, especially if fatty or fried foods. Once symptoms develop, often people note that the frequency of their ill feeling may increase, or happen more often. There is probably little benefit to wait to get more illness or have episodes of vomiting. An ultrasound is usually sufficient unless there are some unusual problems that you are having that would require a ct scan. Your doctor or surgeon can discuss with you the best tests for your specific conditions. Laparoscopic surgery for gallbladder removal is often an outpatient surgery that one can recover from fairly quickly, in 2 weeks or less.
Dr. Michael Zadeh
General Surgery 18 years experience
You : You have symptoms which are classic for gallstone disease and have been diagnosed with gallstones with what i assume was an ultrasound of the abdomen. Those are the only indications you need for surgery. I would not wait until you have further symptoms or your symptoms worsen. Each time you have a gallbladder attack, you experience some chronic inflammation. The more attacks you have, the more difficult it will make your surgery. I would not waste any time.

Last updated Mar 22, 2020