U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A female asked:

My daughter has had mono. i'm pretty sure that i have had it as well. i am just literally exhuasted. all i want to do is sleep. my concern is that for the past few days my lower abdomen has felt strange. i know that you can get an enlarged spleen with mon

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Joy Jackson
Family Medicine 21 years experience
You : You are correct regarding an enlarged spleen with mono. The spleen is located on the left side of the abdomen, closer to the middle; it is also closer to your back than your abdominal wall. If your spleen is enlarged and causing you pain, there is the possibility that this pain is radiating to the area you described. You must also consider that this may represent a different process, possibly a UTI (urinary tract infection). For this reason you should see your doctor for an evaluation and testing for mono as well as testing for a possible uti. Lastly remember to drink plenty of fluids and in the meantime avoid any contact sports or strenuous exercise. Take care.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 38 years experience
Test for Mono: It is possible that you have contracted the illness and other possible causes should be considered. Please see your physician or an urgent care center for evaluation and testing.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 17, 2021


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.