what is causing me to break out in hives? well i don't have health insurance and i've had strep throat since sunday. for the strep throat i've taken some left over doxycycline since it is an antibiotic. my sore throat is clearing up, but i've broken out i

Dr. Joy Jackson
There : There are two possibilities here: #1.-you likely did not have a strep infection, but a viral pharyngitis (throat infection) and you are feeling better because time has passed, not from the antibiotics, a mere coincidence. With viral pharyngitis you can develop a viral exanthem (rash) towards the end of the infectious process. This is self limiting. #2.- you have strep that is resistant to doxycline and know you have developed scarlet fever (rash) if this is the case you will need a change of medication. I recommend you find a low or no cost clinic in your area and schedule a visit. Lastly, remember it is never wise to self treat with antibiotics. Best of luck.
Answered on Apr 12, 2018
1