I just got my braces off i just got my braces off last month, and yesterday my little sister broke my retainer.(top) i called my ortho immediately and came in this morning to get the impressions of my teeth and now have to wait 2 weeks for new retainers.

Dr. Monica Wood
Hand Surgery 29 years experience
Unfortunately, : Unfortunately, this question listed under orthopaedic surgery, rather than orthodonics. However, there are a few principles here. First, try calling your orthodontist to find out if there is a temporary one you can use. If you cannot afford what he/she is offering, consider a meltable mouth guard available at most drug stores. They usually can be softened in hot water. You wouldn't want to wear it much during the day, but can wear it at night. Make sure you shape it very carefully to your teeth to get as much "hold" as possible. While there may be a little motion in 2 weeks time, it should not be so much that your new appliance won't fit, though it may feel tight at first.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Leopold Weinstein
Dentistry 47 years experience
Fifteen : Fifteen days is safe. They will move minimally. So don't fret and let your dentist take care of this.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
Retainer replacement: Unfortunately it takes time to fabricate a new retainer. If your Orthodontist said there is a 2 week turn-around time from the lab, the wait is undesirable but within acceptable limits. A skilled Orthodontist can make that call with you. There is also the option (at additional cost) of having the Orthodontist make an Essex (ask your Orthodontist) temporary retainer to assure maximum stability.
Last updated May 11, 2019