is glaucoma associated with severe myopia a reason to withhold lasik surgery? i am considering a lasik surgery to improve my poor vision due to advanced myopia (40 years old). i am also suffering from glaucoma and i use specific eye drops for it. how will

Dr. Bruce Cameron
LASIK Surgery 30 years experience
Glaucoma : Glaucoma does not necessarily preclude you from having lasik or another type of vision correction for myopia. Advanced surface ablation prk or phakic iol could also be acceptable alternative methods of correction for your myopia. There have been reported cases of further loss of visual field after lasik surgery in patients who have glaucoma or other optic nerve disease, but this is rare. The decision should be made based on the severity of your glaucoma. The other vision correction options listed above have risk of increased eye pressure postoperatively because of the steroid drops used to help the healing process. Pressure will have to be monitored closed after surface ablation, prk, or phakic iol. Additional pressure drops may be needed temporarily after these procedures if the eye pressure goes up.
Dr. William Goldstein
Ophthalmology 31 years experience
Many : Many patients with glaucoma have undergone lasik surgery with great results. The only concern is that lasik involves use of a stabilizing instrument that temporarily increases eye pressure while creating the lasik flap. If glaucoma is very advanced, it is possible that further vision damage could occur. There are other options that don't involve increasing the pressure, including epilasik, prk, or asa. Another possibility is the use of lens implants, with the implantable contact lens (icl) surgery. Check out this page on my website:.
Dr. John Kim
Dr. John Kimanswered
Ophthalmology 22 years experience
If : If you have an advanced glaucoma, then you are not a candidate for a lasik surgery! temporary increase in intraocular pressure during the creation of the flap can cause further damage to the nerves in your eye. If you have minimal nerve damage from your glaucoma then your surgeon may consider you for the surgery. Other options you have are the various surface techniques; prk, lasek, epi-lasik, and asa. These techniques do not create a flap thus do not increase your intraocular pressure.
Dr. Jay Bradley
LASIK Surgery 18 years experience
Glaucoma: Uncontrolled glaucoma is a contraindication to lasik. If the glaucoma is controlled and mild/moderate, lasik can still be considered.