U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 39-year-old female asked:

I have had constant pain in my left bicep primarily, but sometimes shooting pain down to my wrist, sometimes in my shoulder. this has been going on 3 months. i have seen doctors, had xrays (no mri), am in physical therapy. no pain medication has brought

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Hand Surgery 36 years experience
AN : An infection is unlikley to linger for three months untreated unless it were a slow growing process such as a fungal or atypical bacterium. These however are rare and it would be unusual to had an isolated infection of this type in the shoulder. There may be more than one issue. A primary problem rested to the impingement that was diagnosed and referred pain form elsewhere. The neck may give referred pain to the shoulder as can believe it or not abdominal or gastrointestinal issues such as the gallbladder. Referred pain is not usually mechanical i.e. It downs not worsen with shoulder movement. But it is possible to have both things going on at once. Finally the way in which pain is tolerated or not by different people is...Different if things don't seem right...Talk to your current treating physician for this problem if you think you may need to follow up earlier that you both had planned.
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management 18 years experience
Evaluate Neck: If you are not improving have your doctor order a cervical spine mri. Many times a herniated disc in the neck can cause arm pain especially if you have not improved with the medications and physical therapy. If it is a herniated disc you may need evaluation from a spine specialist to determine what other options might be needed (injections, surgery, etc) to help reduce pain.
Dr. Timothy Silver
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 25 years experience
Also would consider carpel tunnel syndrome, it has variable presentations and can sometimes fool us until we do the nerve conduction studies and electromyograms. These studies may assist in helping define the neck as a source as well.
Sep 7, 2013
Last updated Oct 3, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.