Should i test my kids for garnder's syndrome my husband was diagnosed with i1307k. our sons are 16 ad 14 years old. i wonder if i should do genetic diagnostic on them

Dr. Laura McMullen
Your : Your sons have a 50% chance of inheriting the mutation and gardner's syndrome from their father. It is up to you and your sons whether they want to be tested to see if they have the same mutation. I think it would be helpful to know if they have gardner's syndrome so that they can have appropriate screening, monitoring and preventative treatment since they will have an increased risk of colon cancer. You may also want to speak with a genetic counselor before deciding. Call the doctor who ordered you husband's genetic testing for a referral in your area.
Pathology 44 years experience
This is a SUPERB idea and your whole family is fortunate to have a resourceful and proactive mom like yourself.
Apr 27, 2013

Last updated Oct 3, 2016