If i choose not to vaccinate my child against the measles, am i really putting them at risk? i think it would be better to risk my son getting measles than taking the chance that the vaccine itself could damage his health somehow.

6 doctors weighed in across 4 answers

Measles : Measles is not always a minor childhood infection. It can cause your child serious health problems and is very contagious. This places other children and families at risk. I think that your son should get the immunization for measles.

Answered 1/21/2019

5.3k views

Measles vaccine: It is better 2 have ur child vaccinated against measles than risking the disease. The disease is bad. U could have one sick child on ur hands and the risk of complications from the disease are jsut as high if not higher withthe disease.

Answered 9/28/2014

5.2k views

Dr. William Harris answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Vaccinate!: There are many strong opinions about whether or not to vaccinate. People cite religious, safety, or other reasons. To a certain extent, most of the population will be protected by the fact that "everybody else" is vaccinated. That argument will only last so long until you or your child get a preventable disease. The wise choice is to take advantage of all offered and recommended vaccinations.

Answered 9/28/2014

5.2k views

Do you feel lucky?: A long history of tracking the disease has demonstrated that approximately 1 out 2000 cases will suffer a potentially life threatening consequence such as pneumonia or encephalitis. Is it the worth the risk?And in 40-50 years the vaccine has not been shown to have these side effects.Seems like the vaccine is a slam dunk decision.

Answered 9/28/2014

5.2k views