Can i breast feed with breast augmentation done through my umbilicus? in 2000, i had breast augmentation, the approach was through my umbilicus. my plastic surgeon is now retired and i've been unsuccessful reaching anyone at his old office to help me with

9 doctors weighed in across 6 answers
Dr. Michael Jazayeri answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

I : I always tell my patients who have never been pregnant or have breast fed, there is no way to answer this question accurately, since some patients are never able to produce enough milk regardless of any breast surgery. My recommendation is try breast feeding once the baby is born. Even the act of breast feeding, regardless of milk production, will help you and your baby to bond more.

Answered 10/3/2016

5.4k views

Dr. Jeffrey Roth answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Majority can: The majority of women who want to breast feed after breast augmentation can. Some women cannot breast feed even if they never had implants. We usually advise to give it a try as breast feeding is a good thing for mother and baby.

Answered 9/1/2013

5.4k views

Dr. Otto Placik answered

Specializes in Surgery - Plastics

You can but risks?: The ability to nurse depends on whether the ductal system was interrupted or nerve supply to the nipple may have been compromised. However, that is usually rare, and in most instances, women with a straightforward breast aug particularly if performed through the crease incision, are able to nurse. The next question is: if you can, should you? That is more difficult and there is great controversy.

Answered 12/10/2013

5.4k views

Dr. Ralph Rosato answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Yes you can: Breast augmentation does not interfere with breast feeding.

Answered 3/13/2013

5.2k views

Dr. Joseph Mele answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Breat Feeding Rec: Breast feeding is recomended for most women regardless of whether they have breast implants or not. Breast implants can sometimes decrease the amont of milk produced, most likely becuase the breast thinks it is full faster, but breast implants will not change or taint the milk produced.

Answered 9/13/2014

5.2k views

Dr. Tom Pousti answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Probably.: Most patients who undergo breast augmentation surgery are able to breast-feed successfully. However, any type or breast surgery does carry risk of decreasing this ability. Exactly what percentage of patients are not able to breast-feed after consultation surgery is hard to determine since some women are not able to breast-feed despite not having had previous breast surgery.

Answered 4/1/2013

5.2k views