will hydrocodone show up in my drug test? i have a really bad toothache and i want to take a hydrocodone (leftover from my surgery last month). but im supposed to have a drug test at work next week. will i test positive?

Dr. Laura McMullen
Hydrocodone : Hydrocodone is a narcotic and will show up on most drug tests. However, it is also a legal prescription medication that is used for pain relief. Speak with your place of work about their policies regarding prescription medications and drug testing. You may also want to see a dentist as soon as possible for your tooth pain. Legal disclaimer: I am providing this general and basic information as a public service and my response to this question does not constitute a doctor-patient relationship. For any additional information, advice, or specific concerns, please speak with your own physician. The information provided is current as of the date of the answer entry.
Dr. Nishan Odabashian
Endodontics 30 years experience
Yes It Will: The best advise i can give you is see your dentist and have the problem solved. You will need to do that anways, regardless of whether your pain goes away for the time being or not. If you can't get in to see your dentist before you have your drug test at work, i would take an over the counter tylenol (acetaminophen) 500mg x2 and combine that with over the counter 200mg Ibuprofen (motrin) x3.
Dr. Bruce Terry
Specializes in Endodontics
Yes: Yes, narcotics will appear in your drug test. An out of date prescription is not valid. You should see a dentist and if they prescribe and treat then you have documentation of a problem. Your employer will either accept that or delay the testing.
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
See your dentist now: If you are under the treatment of a dentist for the problem, you may not even need a narcotic, so it really is in your best interests to call for an appointment ASAP. The narcotic does not solve your dental problem, and will only be seen as an empty excuse rather than a valid reason for a positive test.

Last updated Jan 23, 2019