Is gout the same thing as gouty arthritis? ive been having pain and swelling in my toe and my doctor says its gouty arthritis. ive never heard of this. is it just a fancy name for gout? or is it something different?

Dr. Neal Birnbaum
Rheumatology 52 years experience
Yes, : Yes, gout and gouty arthritis are terms that generally mean the same thing. There are many kinds of arthritis. Gout is one of the most common.
Dr. Joseph Hogan
47 years experience
Similar: Gout is a metabolic condition in which the serum uric acid in our bodies can elevate. Usually controlled with oral medication. Gouty arthritis is the effect that chronic gout can have on joints especially feet, hands, knees.
Last updated Oct 3, 2016