Liposuction and exercise? i just got liposuction done on my abdomen. i would like to keep the weight off through exercise, how long do i have to wait after the initial procedure to begin a work out? also should i be doing crunches and muscle toning, basic

Dr. Jourdan Gottlieb
Plastic Surgery 45 years experience
I : I permit my patients to walk as much as they wish beginning on the day of surgery. While this is not as time efficient as more strenuous exercise, it is sufficient enough that many people keep fit and lose weight with walking as their sole fitness modality. Depending upon the actual patient and procedure, i will usually decide at the one week post-op visit to begin back to the pre-operative exercise regimen, with the expectation that the patient will be able to do as much as he or she did before surgery by one month or sooner from the procedure date.
Dr. Richard Schwartz
Plastic Surgery 48 years experience
My : My general patient guideline is to have patients avoid strenuous activity for 3 weeks after liposuction and to wear a compression binder or garment. This helps avoid the complication of seroma, an accumulation of clear yellowish fluid in the space where the fat was removed. Regarding exercise, crunches will increase muscle tone in the abdominal wall, but aerobic exercise will burn more calories. A healthy diet (low in fat) and a well-rounded exercise routine on a regular basis should help you control your weight and look your best.
Dr. Adam Rubinstein
Specializes in Plastic Surgery
In : In general, i recommend returning to aerobic exercise as soon as you feel comfortable enough to tolerate it. As for weight training i usually recommend waiting at least 2 weeks and possibly more depending upon how your recovery is going. I would recommend that you discuss this with your surgeon to get his/her recommendations.I hope this info helps. Best regards, adam j rubinstein, md, facshttp://www.Dr-rubinstein.Com [http://www.Dr-rubinstein.Com]305-792-7575past chief, section of plastic surgery jackson north medical centeractive member, american society of plastic surgeonsactive member, american society for aesthetic plastic surgeryactive member, international society of aesthetic plastic surgeryfounding member, american society of bariatric plastic surgeonsactive member, american academy of anti-aging medicineconfidentiality notice: the information contained in this electronic message may be privileged and confidential, and may or may not contain sensitive and personal information, including identifiable health information, the confidentiality of which may be protected by federal and state law and is only for the use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) named on address line(s)above. This electronic message in no way substitutes for medical or cosmetic advice. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited, and the reader is requested to notify dr. Rubinstein at 305-792-7575 or info@dr-rubinstein.Com [mailto:info@dr-rubinstein.Com] immediately and to delete the information. We assume no responsibility for consequences resulting from the information contained in this email.
Dr. David Levens
Plastic Surgery 39 years experience
The : The sooner you feel like exercising, the better. The only restriction after liposuction is your own comfort. As well, it is best to minimize agressive, high impact activities for a few weeks as it may cause some shearing of the interface between skin/fat and muscle and possibly lead to fluid accumulation. Otherwise, best results after liposuction are achieved with a healthy diet and exercise to keep your weight stable or even to lose a few pounds after for a better result.
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Plastic Surgery 20 years experience
Resume activity: You should be able to resume physical activity almost immediately after liposuction. The limitation is often pain and soreness, but there are usually no restrictions.

Last updated Feb 6, 2019