A male asked:

i have a herniated disc 5 months ago in l4 and l5 and im on lyrica (pregabalin) 150 it affects my sciatical nerve.but recently i feel a numbness and a burning sensation in my vastus lateralis muscle.also i feel a pain in my heel when walking or standing

Dr. Todd Jackman
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 23 years experience
A : A disc bulge between the 4th and 5th lumbar vertebrae (the l4-5 disc) can affect the L4 nerve as it leaves the spinal canal, the L5 nerve root as it passes the disc level, or any of the nerve roots passing by the disc if the compression is severe enough. The L5 nerve root receives sensation from the posterior of the buttock, the outside part of the thigh, the front and outside portion of the leg below the knee, and top and heel / sole of the foot. Your symptoms sound like they are coming from the L5 nerve root. Lyrica (pregabalin) is a medication used to "quiet" the irritable nerve roots. Talk to your doctor about the side effects and prescribing recommendations for that medication. Most disc herniations will resorb or "go away" on their own...If given enough time. If you experience weakness, bowel, or bladder issues, you should contact your physician.
Dr. Michael Gleiber
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 24 years experience
Disc : Disc herniations can cause pressure on both the exiting nerve and traversing nerves in the spinal canal. In most cases, conservative care is recommended initially and usually consists of NSAID medications (ibuprofen), physical therapy modalities, an epidural injection, and other non operative means. Continued pain and numbness after these may be an indication for a procedure called a microdiscectomy. This is typically an outpatient procedure where the pressure on the nerve is removed and has a very high success rate in terms of eradicating your symptoms. I recommend you speak with a fellowship trained spinal surgeon who can further evaluate you with a neurological exam and discuss all options available to help you feel better.

Last updated Oct 3, 2016