Possible infected ear lobe from ear piercing? i got my ears pierced on christmas eve for a christmas present. i am very religious about cleaning the piercing. my right ear lobe now has a ball inside the the lobe and has drainage on the backing to the earr

Dr. Mark Lacambra
You : You very likely have an infection, and given the duration of symptoms and lack of progress, i would reccomend an antibiotic that is considered safe in pregnancy. Your doctor can review safety in pregnacy studies with you at your visit. The definitive way to make that diagnosis would be for your doctor to obtain a sample of the discharge and culture it. You may also be having a reaction to the metal in the post of the earring, so switching metals (higher carat gold is a good choice) may help. Good luck mark lacambra sand point internal medicine.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Jane Velez
Clinical Psychology 27 years experience
Ear infection: Your ear is infected, and your cleaning is not clearing it up. Sometimes that is not enough. Try using some triple antibiotic ointment (available at any drugstore without a prescription). If it doesn't clear up in 2 days, please see your doctor or prompt care physician.
Last updated Mar 22, 2021