U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Marriottsville, MD
A 20-year-old female asked:

Small lump in ear lobe, ball like, next to pierced ear. hurts alittle bit when pressed? seems to in reds in size as well.

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Katherine Caldwell
Internal Medicine 18 years experience
Piercing infection: Sounds like the piercing got infected. Remove the earring (you can re-pierce it later if the piercing closes up). If you can gently express any pus from the area through the piercing hole, that will help it heal. You can use a warm compress to help get the pus out and for comfort. If it doesn't clear up in a few days, or starts looking worse, you may need antibiotics.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Dec 6, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.