my orthodontist didn't make a molding on my teeth, but still put the braces on. should i be concerned?

Dr. Ronald Achong
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 18 years experience
Not sure: There is technology available that can take computerized molds of your mouth without the need for taking actual physical molds. Maybe this is what your orthodontist did or maybe molds were taken and you were unaware. Ask your orthodontist.
Dr. Ryan Tamburrino
Specializes in Orthodontics
I don't know: It depends on their methodology for how they diagnosed your bite and how they came up with a plan to fix it. I would ask them why or why not they would take models of somebody's teeth prior to treatment.
Dr. Anthony Togrye
Orthodontics 31 years experience
Depends on your case: Not necessarily. The typical practice for years has been to obtain orthodontic models for every case prior to the start of treatment. With the advent of new digital radiography as well as digital photography some orthodontist choose not to take models. In my practice i continue to obtain models in addition to the digital photos and radiographs. .
Dr. Gary Chapman
Orthodontics 35 years experience
No: Models of teeth are becoming much less useful as digital technology is integrated into treatment.
Dr. David Schleimer
No: With the advent of newer digital imaging technology and the quality of our diagnostic records it is very common for a normal orthodontic case to forego the plaster models. It is a matter of personal choice for each doctor, but it is not "wrong". I still use models for very complicated or surgical cases. I predict that within 5-7 years it will be phased out altogether. Such is progress!
Dr. Robert Stoner
Orthodontics 38 years experience
Won't be phased out as long as the art of diagnosis is not replaced by technology. A 3 dimensional physical model will never be replaced by 2 dimensional imaging. That said, monetary constraints and mass production and loss of individualized treatment plans is the general direction of the practice today.
Apr 21, 2013
Dr. David Schleimer
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Provided original answer
Dr. Stoner, you know me as a straight shooter, and I do adhere to the practice of taking models when I believe it will aid in my diagnostic process. In the last decade I have come to believe that except for these few case types, it does not change my plan of treatment nor my final diagnosis. I also believe that if it helps you or any other ethical orthodontist, by all means keep to your protocol; as it has served you well for 30 years.
Apr 21, 2013
Dr. S. jay Bowman
Orthodontics 36 years experience
Just ask: Although study models are typically taken as part of the diagnostic process; however, there may be a specific reason they were not done in your case. Just ask the orthodontist to see what those reasons were in your case.
Dr. Robert Stoner
Orthodontics 38 years experience
Yes: According to the american board of orthodontics to accurately diagnose a case, models or digital models are required. Cephalometric radiographs with tracing and analysis is also necessary as well as a panoramic radiograph. Photos of the face smiling, lips closed, and profile are also necessary, as are photos of the teeth biting and pictures of the biting surfaces of the top and bottom teeth.
Dr. Shyam Desai
Orthodontics 13 years experience
No: Initial molds are for his records and diagnosis. He likely diagnosed your malocclusion by looking in your mouth rather than taking molds. Don't be concerned about this.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
I would only be concerned if your Orthodontic Treatment was being done by a non-specialist. A University trained orthodontic Specialist will pick and choose the diagnostic testing to be done that best provides diagnostic information about your particular problem. As long as the practitioner treating you is a qualified specialist, who does nothing but Orthodontics, I would not be concerned.
Apr 22, 2013
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Not necessarily: Assuming that you are seeing a qualified orthodontist who only does ortho rx, i would not be concerned. Orthodontic study models are required as part of any orthodontic evaluation, but the orthodontist may have done digital models by scanning images of your teeth into a computer.
Dr. Hilary Baskin
Orthodontics 28 years experience
No: They likely have photos and x-rays and may have even taken a digital mold (newer technology). You can ask them why, but i would not be concerned.
Dr. Manuel Sousa
Orthodontics 46 years experience
Probably not.: Normal protocol is to make a mold to diagnose the orthodontic problems and have a record of the starting point. However if there are adequate photos and the ortho issues are mild or minimal there should not be a problem.
Dr. Gregory Johnson
Specializes in Orthodontics
Ortho study models: The standard of care for a complete evaluation of your teeth when considering comprehensive orthodontic treatment includes study models accomplished with the "molding of your teeth.". Perhaps your condition was so simple as to not require a comprehensive evaluation.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Two other question come to mind. Are you seeing an Orthodontic Specialist or a General Dentist for your treatment? If your seeing an Orthodontist did he/she do a scanning of your teeth to create digital models? Ask your practitioner why no models.
Apr 5, 2014