What are the success rates of tmj surgery? my surgeon wants to remove my disc is there another option to avoid arthritis like sewing it in place?

8 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. Sal Aragona answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Not very high: Discectomy with or without replacement is high risk surgery. Your surgeon should be able to give more exact idea of success rates. Get other opinions, including non-surgical choices and doing nothing. List the benefits and the risks with each choice and go with the one that you are most comfortable with.

Answered 3/15/2014

5.5k views

Dr. Robert Brodsky answered

Specializes in Geriatrics

Don't do it.: Disc surgery is the very last resort. If all else fails and you sre still in pain, then there is nothing left.

Answered 10/4/2016

5.5k views

Dr. Ryan Tamburrino answered

Specializes in Orthodontics

Why are you doing it: Unless you are having an extreme restriction of movement in the jaws, removing the disc or any type of jaw joint surgery is the absolute last resort after all other conservative options have been exhausted. I would try appliance therapy combined with physical therapy to balance and minimize stresses to the area first. Also, having an MRI of the joint would help see if the disc is an issue.

Answered 6/10/2014

5.5k views

Dr. James Bates answered

Specializes in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

TMJ Surgery: As a surgeon, I am biased. But, contrary to other commenters, our literature reveals a remarkably high success rate with TMJ surgery. Of course, it depends on what operation is done. And, of course, conservative therapy should be tried first. Nevertheless, surgery can sometimes be the most conservative option. Disc removal is problematic, and there are other disc-salvaging procedures to consider.

Answered 9/7/2018

4.9k views

Dr. Louis Gallia answered

Specializes in Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

High success: High rates of success. But, you should have had or considered non-surgical treatment. As a TMJ surgeon, i would almost always explore arthroscopic surgery prior to open surgery to remove a disc.

Answered 9/7/2018

4.3k views