can you weigh the benefits of in-patient and out-patient, hospital and home care for palliative care?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Joseph Torkildson
39 years experience Pediatric Hematology and Oncology
It depends: There are too many factors involved to give a "one size fits all" answer. The bottom line is, the patient and family are satisfied with the outcome. I'm a big supporter of home end-of-life care, which is what i think you're talking about. It's much more flexible and allows family and friends free access. But, it has to fit with everyone's goals. The patient should have a big part in the decision.
Answered on Jan 5, 2013
2
Dr. Ladislav Volicer
62 years experience Geriatric Psychiatry
It depends: Palliative care can be provided in all these settings. If some symptoms are too severe, e.g., pain, it may be necessary to hospitalize the patient.
Answered on May 22, 2015
3