my pain doc started treating my chronic back pain with hydrocodone which has helped, but i'm still young, is it bad taking 2 pills away for my liver?

Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 40 years experience
Your physician is : The best person to evaluate and guide you on medication. However, if on medication chronically, depending on the medications and medical history, routine blood testing should be done periodically to assess status of various organ systems and use of the medications.
Dr. Laurence Mermelstein
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 31 years experience
Narcotics for pain: Hudrocodone is a very safe medication, even over the long term. Problem is that daily use over the long term is not a good idea. This is not an effective treatment of the underlying problem and can lead to tolerance for the drug: needing more and more pills everyday. I recommend taking this med sparingly, as needed and getting to the bottom of why you have pain to start.

Last updated Oct 4, 2016