U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 38-year-old member asked:

What do i do for injuries that include sprains, torn muscles, torn ligaments?

1 doctor answer5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Kim Fagan
Sports Medicine 35 years experience
Immediately RICE: R-rest, i-ice, c-compression, e-elevation is a good initial step in most musculoskeletal injuries. Your question covers a broad array of injuries from common strains/sprains which may just require a little activity modification to torn ligaments/ tendons that may ultimately need surgery. If an injury involving a joint is unstable, has significant swelling or prevents weight bearing see a doctor.
Dr. Vic Kalman
Dr. Vic Kalman commented
Orthopedic Surgery 36 years experience
Agree, RICE for a day or so and begin increasing movement of the joint. As long as improving daily, great...if not get evaluated
Nov 17, 2012

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Related questions

A 30-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 34-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 46-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Last updated Dec 31, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.