U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 34-year-old female asked:

What is best approach to treating allergy-related stopped up ear(s)/eustachian probs? antihistamine? nasal spray? decongestant?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bhavin Patel
Allergy and Immunology 27 years experience
Nasal sprays: Initially you want to start off with nasal corticosteroid nasal sprays. If this alleviates the symptoms then you do not need to do anything else. However, if you have some relief, then try as needed decongestant.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Theodore Fetter
undefined 52 years experience
Agree that allergy steroid nasal spray is a good starting point. You may need some or all of those treatments, and some allergy patients may also need allergy immune treatment (shots or other). If various allergy treatments are insufficient, then ear tubes are an option.
May 24, 2015
Last updated Nov 11, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.