What is it like to have temporary plastic partial dentures?

6 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Keith Grimm answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Not fun: In general, anything labeled as "temporary" is usually not as comfortable as the permanent restoration. However, that doesn't mean that you should have to suffer through it. Your dentist should be able to make you something that is not only temporary, but also comfortable and usable.

Answered 3/13/2016

5.5k views

Dr. Neil McLeod answered

Specializes in Prosthodontics

Difficult at first: Temporary dentures are usually for just a few teeth at first, and they feel like a large foreign object which has to be negotiated the whole time for a few days. After a while you get used to the new object rather like not hearing a clock ticking in a room. Learning to eat with them is a challenge at first and food definitely gets stuck underneath the base and needs to be cleaned away. Dr neil mcleod dds dentistry that lasts - quality that counts.

Answered 3/29/2014

5.4k views

Dr. Ronald Koslowski answered

Specializes in Prosthodontics

Not like teeth.: Wearing a removable prosthesis requires an adaptation period for function, comfort and speech that varies from person to person. Some people adapt well, and will continue on to have definitive (metal framework) partial dentures made. Many others will not adapt well, and should consider dental implants to replace the missing teeth.

Answered 6/15/2018

5.2k views

Dr. Gary Sandler answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Big adjustment: I'm assuming there is no other alternative for you, as often there are better ways to replace teeth, both in the short term & on a permanent basis & this should be discussed with your dentist prior to commencing any treatment plan. Having said that, there are even different types of temporary removable appliances that can be used. Your dentist knows your case best-ask for more info.

Answered 3/15/2013

5.2k views