how long does swelling typically last after hand surgery?

Dr. Jack Choueka
Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
Depends: Some amount of hand swelling after hand surgery is normal. The amount of hand swelling depends on the condition and the treatment needed for the condition. Is important to control the swelling mostly with elevation and keeping the fingers moving. If this fails occupational therapists can help to reduce the swelling.
Dr. Bauback Safa
Plastic Surgery 20 years experience
Depends: You should always expect swelling after surgery. The amount will depend on the surgery itself, the patient, and how aggressively the hand is being used. Strict hand elevation, wrapping, and anti-inflammatories (only if ok with your surgeon) can help minimize swelling. Hand therapists can also be very helpful in controlling post-operative swelling.
Dr. Barry Press
Plastic Surgery 44 years experience
Depends: Depends on the kind and magnitude of surgery. There is almost always some swelling after any hand surgery (or hand injury.) that is why it is important to keep the affected part above the level of your heart for 2-3 days. Any surgery or injury around the small joints in the fingers will be associated with longer lasting swelling; this is normal. It should gradually improve.