A question about tooth discoloration? is the amount of stain on teeth from tea same as amount on porcelain cup?

5 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

Usually not: Sadly, because a substantial number of people are more conscientious about cleaning their teacups than they are about cleaning their teeth, teacups tend to accumulate less tea stain than teeth.

Answered 5/6/2019

5.5k views

Dr. Jeffrey Goldstein answered

Specializes in Cosmetic Dentistry

Possibly.: The staining of teeth with tea, coffee, red wine, etc. Is the same mechanism as on the cup. Factors involved with the tooth would be how muc tea you drink, how smooth or rough your enamel is, how dry your mouth is and how strong you brew your tea. The good news is that most staining can be polished off by a dental cleaning and if any stains remain, tooth whitening is very effective at removing it.

Answered 9/28/2016

5.4k views

Dr. David May answered

Probably less: The tea probably sits on the cup a lot longer than it sits on your teeth, but you can see the mechanism.

Answered 12/13/2012

5.4k views