71 yr old with cataract & vision in only one eye. having difficulty seeing traffic signals. considering the risks, would you have the surgery?

6 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Dan Fisher answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

Generally yes.: Your case could be affected by several variables and you will need to review these with your surgeon. Make sure you are at a center where they are doing a lot of these and that your surgeon is very good. Ask them for specific numbers of cases just like yours.

Answered 4/16/2013

5.5k views

Dr. Richard Lehrer answered

Specializes in Glaucoma

Depends: I operate on one eyed patients every week. Although risks associated with routine cataract surgery are low, i always counsel my patients that it is not worth taking the risk if you are not having trouble. If your vision is affecting your lifestyle, and you are not able to function as you would like to, it may be worth the risk. Discuss this with your surgeon.

Answered 9/21/2013

5.5k views

Dr. Michael Ham answered

Specializes in Ophthalmology

Depends.: How much does it affect you activities of daily living? If it is bad and you feel it is worth 1 in 100 to 5, 000 risk at having problems to function better, then yes i would have surgery. If it is not that bad, then wait for now, you can opt for surgery at any time in the future. As long as the cataract is not causing other medical problems with the eye (inflammation or glaucoma).

Answered 4/16/2013

5.3k views