Houma, LA

Can i become a doctor even if i'm on xanax (alprazolam) the rest of my life? i have extreme anxiety and its the only thing that helps at the moment. my iq is 120. will it go down if i stay on xanax (alprazolam)?

Dr. John Hsiao
Yes, even doctors: Get anxious & take xanax (alprazolam). No, xanax (alprazolam) will not make you dumb(er). Xanax (alprazolam) is not a good chronic medicine. It's half life is short & if you take it daily, you will likely develop rebound anxiety & suffer bad withdrawal symptoms if you miss a dose or stop. The ssris are much better anxiety meds & if you have to be on a benzodiazepine, a long acting one, like Clonazepam is much safer.

Last updated Jan 22, 2015