can you get a hysteroscopy with uterine biopsy without general or local anesthetics?

Dr. Edward Ramirez
Fertility Medicine 36 years experience
Yes: A hysteroscopy for an endometrial biopsy does not require any kind of anesthetic. A very small amount of tissue is removed with a minimal amount of pain.
Dr. Lisa Lepine
Dr. Lisa Lepine commented
Gynecology 31 years experience
Hysteroscopy can often be performed in the office. We generally use some numbing medication injected into the cervix to minimize discomfort. The inside of the uterus can then be visualized and any areas of abnormalities can be biopsied.
Dec 30, 2011
Dr. Miguel Cano
Dr. Miguel Cano commented
Agreed, why "Rambo" it if you don't have to? I'd recommend the local if it's offered.
Aug 1, 2012
Dr. Shiao-Yu Lee
Specializes in Gynecology
Yes: Yes. You don't need general or local anesthetics with hysteroscopy and a simple uterine biopsy. You need a doctor who is skilled in hysteroscopy.
Dr. Ronald De la Pena
Yes: Slim line scopes are very well tolerated and may not need local anesth. Best to ask your gyn.