is it possible to keep playing guitar with arthritis in the thumbs?

Dr. Michael Laccheo
Dr. Michael Laccheoanswered
Rheumatology 15 years experience
Yes: There are many medications and orthotics that can be used to help with the pain and keep one functional.
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Hand Surgery 35 years experience
Musician: Muscians from the novice to the professional need to adapt as they age. The string player who changes technique for vibrato, the guitar player who slows down, all are part of aging. Playing an instrument can also be protective, by keeping joints limber and strong, the key is to adapt and avoid sever pain but keep playing its better than stopping typically. Once you stop its harder to start.
Dr. Michael Fitzmaurice
Hand Surgery 21 years experience
Yes: I have treated several professional musicians for thumb arthritis using a minimally invasive technique (arthroscopic hemitrpeziectomy) along with stem cell resurfacing of the joint with excellent success. One in particular has been playing guitar at the grande ole oprey in nashville 3 weeks after surgery. There are definitely some good options and i can give out references if you like.
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management 17 years experience
Lots: There are many options for treatment. Medications like anti-inflammatory options like ibuprofen, naproxen, etc. Other options include synvisc/euflexxa injections to help lubricate the joint or even platelet/stem cell therapies as well. Generally these options are not covered by your insurance though. Check out Regenexx.Com.