United Kingdom (Great Britain)

i'm finding it difficult to hold things for a long time without my thumb hurting , could this be arthritis?

Dr. R. Jan Gurley
Yes, or other things: The base of the thumb is one of the most common sites for osteoarthritis. However, there are many other conditions that can cause pain in the thumb when holding things - including disorders of the spine (with referred pain). Time to get an evaluation.
Dr. Tracy Lovell
Rheumatology 21 years experience
See below: It could be arthritis, tendonitis, or neuropathy. You will need to have an exam to help determine which one it is.