U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 20-year-old female asked:

My grandpa is 80 yr old, his only problem is arthritis, knee jt, he is a farmer.what is te treatment for this other than surgery and medicines?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Matthew Zwerling
A Verified Doctoranswered
53 years experience
Gentle exercises and: Synvisc (hylan g-f 20) is a material injected into the knee which helps lubricate it. The injections can be repeated every 6 months and there is only a small risk of allergy to it. Otherwise gentle strengthening exercises like stepping up and down on a 4" block or step can be of some help. Warm compresses and a knee sleeve (not too tight) can help keep the knee warm in the winter.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Nov 27, 2012


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.