do i need braces if i have tmj?

6 doctor answers
Dr. Gary Lederman
39 years experience Dentistry
Perhaps: Managing TMJ issues is a two phase process. Step one is relieve your pain. Sometimes with medications, acupuncture biofeedback. Or a dental mouth appliance. A bad bite is often part of the problem. The appliance allows the lower jaw to find a comfortable position where the muscles are relaxed. Orthodontics or reconstruction may be part of your plan once you feel better. Find a trained dentist.
Answered on May 7, 2016
2
2 comments
4
Dr. Gary Lederman
39 years experience Dentistry
Provided original answer
I agree with much of what you say. However, orthodontists are not the only doctors who are qualified to treat TMJ disorders. Many dentists, orthodontists included, refer TMD sufferers to those who focus on this problems. While we can debate cause and effect, it is important to relieve symptoms first, regardless of cause. It makes sense to move teeth or reconstruct to a proven comfortable position rather than to an arbitrary one in which symptoms may return. And I care not which qualified doctor moves the teeth.
Jun 2, 2013
Dr. David Schleimer
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Find a trained dentist: they are called ORTHODONTISTS. It has been shown time and time again in refereed journals that orthodontia is neither the cause or the remedy to TMD. I actually wrote my thesis on this issue; not a great piece of literature but it did tie into what I know or still believe, braces or most malocclusions do not cause TMD and certainly do not correct joint problems. Can splint therapy relieve joint symptoms? Certainly. Much like a clutch causes the gears of a car to uncouple. It does not however prove that malocclusions are the leading cause of joint problems.
Jun 2, 2013
Dr. SCOTT HARWOOD
44 years experience Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
No: You do not necessarily need braces because you have a TMJ problem. If you have a malocclusion it may be part of the treatment but certainly not all TMJ problems require braces.
Answered on May 7, 2016
1
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
44 years experience Dentistry
Not necessarily : Your bite (occusion) and alignment of your teeth may dictate the need for braces. It is usually referred to phase 2 of the treatment for tmj/tmd. Phase 1 is usually the treatment of get you out of pain and into more function.
Answered on Dec 9, 2013
Dr. William Dapper
35 years experience Dentistry
Not necessarily: There are several aspects of TMJ which must be evaluated, muscles, joints and occlusion. The cause of your signs and symptoms must be diagnosed. A comprehensive examination including an occlusal analysis ( bite analysis) will provide the data necessary to determine whether or not orthodontics is appropriate.
Answered on Aug 7, 2017
Dr. Fernando Juliao
29 years experience Dentistry
Possible: Sometimes a very poor teeth and jaw position can encourage TMJ syndrome. Your dentist or orthodontist will be able to advise you. If your teeth/ jaws are fine, perhaps all you need is a special nightguard.
Answered on Jun 10, 2014
Dr. Louis Gallia
Probably not: Probably not. Don't see an orthodontist for TMJ evaluation. Every problem for ortho is braces. Get another opinion from non Ortho TMJ expert. Try oral surgery,
Answered on Mar 18, 2015