would braces have any affect on my tmj?

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Positive effect: As malocclusion causative of, or contributory to, joint dysfunction, resolution of malocclusion usually means reduction of joint symptoms. Ask a qualified orthodontic specialist for advice.
Dr. Tarek Hamid
Dentistry 9 years experience
Yes: Braces corrects one of the causes of TMJ which is malocclusion, by correcting your bite you ease pressure and correct joint movements , therefore improving TMJ condition..
Dr. Louis Gallia
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Perhaps: If your bite contributes to your TMJ problem, braces may help. If not, no. Braces can make TMJ worse. Don't use braces as the primary TMJ treatment. See a TMJ expert before any orthodontic treatment.