What to do after sclerotherapy?

Dr. James Isobe
Phlebology 55 years experience
Avoid sun : Many use compression hose following scleraotherapy for varying times, and listen to your doctor on his method. Avoid sun exposure to minimized the discoloration that may result (brownish). Immediately after the sclerotherapy session, ambulation for 15-20 min helps to clear the agent from the legs, cutting down on the risk for thrombophlebitis. Avoid impact type leg exercises.
Dr. Joseph Gemmete
29 years experience
Compression: Apply compression over area. If skin breakdown treat accordingly, maintain hydration, may take alcohol solutions 8 weeks to see full effect of treatment.
Dr. Ted King
41 years experience
After sclero: There is little that needs to be done after sclero. Most of what is recommended to patients after sclerotherapy is based on tradition and not science. Compression probably helps with comfort, swelling, and bruising but it has never been shown to make a real difference in terms of effectiveness or safety. You can be as active as is comfortable. Sun exposure, in moderation, is ok but don't burn.
Dr. Lawrence Presant
Phlebology 42 years experience
Apres sclerotherapy: Although dr king makes valid comments, I have seen a reduction in coagula (trapped blood) due to adequate compression. The key is adequate, granted the degree of compression is quite variable. Drs weiss and goldman published a compression study about 14 years ago showing diminishing rewards from 1 to three weeks duration. Walking with compression more effectively prevents stasis.