I have a bump on my face just under my eye. thought it was a pimple but it will not come to a head. it is tender to the touch. then thought it could be a bug bite. tried to pop it but it will not pop. then tried to lance it. just some clear fluid. what do

Dr. Theodore Wu
Ophthalmology 22 years experience
Bump with pain: There are several possibilities, including a stye and an abscess. If t is tender, it may be infected. An abscess needs to be drained by a skilled eye surgeon (ophthalmologist). Do not try to drain it yourself, since it may be located near a tear drainage duct.
Dr. Nazhat Sharma
Ophthalmology 58 years experience
Do warm. Compresses and see your Ophthalmologist.
Mar 10, 2013
Dr. Douglas Liva
Ophthalmology 40 years experience
Possible chalazion : If it involves the lower eyelid not the upper cheek it is probably a chalazion which is inflammation of a clogged meibomian oil gland. Treatment consists of warm compresses and massage and surgical drainage if no resolution after about a month. If the surrounding skin area becomes inflamed a preseptal cellulitis could be occurring which would require systemic antibiotics.
Dr. Alan Mindlin
Ophthalmology 50 years experience
Cyst: Th can be anything from a chalazion to a foreign body reaction to a bug bite to just a slow growing benign cyst. You should be seen and evaluated by an ophthalmologist.

Last updated May 8, 2019