TX

How long do i have to fast before bloodwork? im type 1 diabetic and sometimes my blood sugar goes low in the middle of the night and i have to eat. is there anything i can eat to avoid having to wait all day to eat anything in order to pass this blood wo

Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
30 years experience
U can't with a low: If you have a low blood sugar in the middle of the night, you have to treat it. That would put a kink in morning fasting labs. My concern would be to prevent the lows; you shouldn't have to feed your diabetes to get thru the night. The problem is to sort out why you're having overnight lows and prevent them. Please discuss with ur doc. Fasting is going 8-12 hours without food.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 30, 2013