Fishers, IN

What to expect with tmj discectomy?

Dr. James Bates
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 37 years experience
TMJ discectomy: Tmj discectomy is a form of arthroplasty, but instead of repairing the disc, it is removed. You'll have some pain but it should be manageable. You'll need a very soft diet and active range of motion exercises for several weeks. However, the long term results are generally good.
Dr. Kim Capehart
Dentistry 21 years experience
TMJ Discectomy: Tmj discectomy is the removal of the disk that cushions the joint. This is usually a more radical procedure with up to 2-3 week recovery time and several months for tissue to fill the joint. During the healing time your bones will rub and grind together and once healed, you may be able to use jaw within a month to six week following surgery.
Dr. Duane Keller
46 years experience
Expect problems: Removing the disc in your TMJ is not a good idea and should be avoided if possible. This procedure not only places the joint in a compromised position, but will increase the possibility of arthritis and degenerative changes. I would seek other opinions. You might look up dr. Larry wolford in dallas and get his opinion. I wold not recommend doing this to anyone.
Dr. Brett Noorda
Dentistry 26 years experience
I agree. This is a treatment I would not recommend. See a TMJ/TMD specialist or two for other opinions.
Mar 18, 2013
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial 46 years experience
Improvement: Expect improvement in most cases. Less noise, less pain. Better opening. Make sure you have a very experienced surgeon.