my bf has a staph infection he had a 2hr drip of iv atibiotics last night at hosp, 2 anti scripts to take home, how long is he cont? skin is not open?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Michael Fisher
31 years experience Dermatology
Contagious after Rx: Usually, the a general guideline would be that a person is not contagious after 48 hours' worth of antibiotics. With strep throat, a general guideline is 24 hours. But this can vary depending on the disease.
Answered on Sep 8, 2013
1
Dr. Gutti Rao
Dr. Gutti Rao answered
45 years experience Hospital-based practice
Staph infection: By your description I am presuming your bf had an abscess which is being treated with abx. Usually seven to ten days of antibiotics suffices.
Answered on Sep 9, 2019
1
Dr. Martin Raff
55 years experience Infectious Disease
Complicated: Your bf may be colonized with this staph on his skin and in his nose and back of throat. If you are intimate the chances are that you too are colonized. That does not necessarily mean that you will become infected. That requires a complex interaction of sites in which infection can occur, your innate immunity and other factors.
Answered on Dec 3, 2012