MA

I take synthroid (thyroxine) for hypothyroidism, i do not have hashimotos. if i was misdiagnosed and have been taking it for the past 10 years, could the medication have damaged my thyroid?

Dr. Hector Amaya
No: Hypothyroidism. Is treated with thyroid replacement hormones and is in fact helping decreased the size of the non functioning thyroid. As per general rule one you started synthetic you thyroid has no work to do and gets small.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Samuel Freedman
Damaged thyroid: You could have had transient hypothyroidism. Taking synthroid (thyroxine) won't hurt you long term. Wean it and check your levels. Hashimotos can't be ruled out by lack of antibodies. Also check thyroid sonogram.
Last updated Oct 11, 2020