can rotatory cuff injury lead to dislocation in shoulder?

Dr. Abdul Ahmed
Orthopedic Surgery 41 years experience
Yes / No: In massive rotator cuff tears the shoulder can sublux superiorly and caus significant arthritis but acute dislocation of the shoulder is not seen.
Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Orthopedic Surgery 27 years experience
Dislocation shoulder: When dislocation occurs, some part of the shoulder fails to permit dislocation. In younger patients, anterior labrum tears (bankart tear). When dislocation occurs in patients over 40y, incidence of rotator cuff tear increases. If cuff tears in this setting, there is increased chance of redislocation. Many patients opt for cuff repair, but usually because of pain and weakness, not redislocation.
Dr. Marc Schneider
Orthopedic Surgery 27 years experience
Rarely: A massive rotator cuff tear can lead to shoulder instability (typically a subluxation/partial dislocation, but not a full dislocation). This may depend on multiple factors including the size, location and chronicity of the tear. On the other hand a traumatic shoulder dislocation can sometimes cause a rotator cuff tear, particularly in patients over the age of 40.