Culpeper, VA

I have stye (i think, i've never had one) in the inner corner of my left eye. it is a little swollen and hurts to blink and tightly close my eyes. what should i do? is an eye doctor visit necessary? i don't have much money. :-( please help.

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 54 years experience
Heat: Most styes can be eliminated with topical heat. Put a wash cloth under the very warm, but not hot, water tap, wring it out a little and hold it over your closed eye for 4 minutes - do this about 5 times per day. This will usually cause it to melt away over several days. If persistent after that, you will need to see your ophthalmologist.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Faramarz Hidaji
Cosmetic Surgery 31 years experience
Hot compress: Dont see a doctor unless your pain worsens or your vision changes for the worse. Use a sock filled with dried beans heated in the microwave to apply heat to your eyelid. You should get better in a few days. One possible concern: if you develop swelling and tenderness on the side of your nose near the eye corner, you may have a blocked tear duct and not a stye. If so, see an eye doctor soon.
Dr. Michael Ham
Ophthalmology 29 years experience
Warm compresses: Warm compresses, or surgical incision and drainage, or steroid have been the only effective treatments demonstrated get rid of a stye. A stye is due to the orifice of an oil gland (mebomian gland) in the eyelid margin becoming inflamed, and not an infection.
Last updated Oct 17, 2019