San Antonio, TX

what is runners knee?

Dr. Rhett Griggs
Hand Surgery 19 years experience
Tendon : Inflammation below the knee cap.
Dr. Rowan Paul
Sports Medicine 16 years experience
Kneecap cartilage : It is irritation of the cartilage under the knee cap. Causes: overuse, functional weakness of the quads, vmo, glutes and core muscles, abnormal gait, too many hill runs, too much or too little flexibility, and anatomical shallow grooves where the knee cap glides. Strengthening, bracing, gait retraining, anti-inflammatories, injections, and even surgery can help. See sports med doc with experience.
Dr. David Trettin
Orthopedic Surgery 33 years experience
Tendonitis: "runners knee " is a broad term that generally incorporates illiotibial band( it) and patellar( kneecap) tendinitis . " jumpers" knee is a term used for isolated patellar tendonitis. Ors try to identify the tendon that is inflamed and avoid( generally) a broad non- specific term like " runners knee"... !btw some actual distance runners who run alot of hills in training get it band(outside) ten's..
Dr. Shadia Constantine
Specializes in Internal Medicine
Many causes: A runner's knee is essentially pain in the knee but it can involve different structures like the problems with the bones (patella), tendons around the knee (IT band) or problems inside the joint itself. Depending on the severity of the pain, the presence or swelling, the treatment would be different.
Dr. Scott Keith
Podiatry 44 years experience
Don't knee-d this.: Really not a specific disorder but more of a possible combination of several conditions that can give pain and dysfunction to the knee area. It is called "patellofemoral pain syndrome" and can be traced to several issues. Overuse, weak thigh muscles, poor foot mechanics, and trauma and just a few. Consult with a Healthtap orthopedist to begin the rehab process.