U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 38-year-old member asked:

Are there some causes of a dislocated jaw?

4 doctor answers14 doctors weighed in
Dr. Richard Ruden
Dentistry 39 years experience
Many causes: A dislocated jaw can be caused by forceful yawning or by some sort of trauma or impact with the face. Common causes of jaw dislocation include a punch to the face, sports injuries, and car accidents.
Dr. Joshua Cochran
Dentistry 12 years experience
Also, TMJ: A malfunctioning TMJ (temporomandibular joint) can make you more prone to jaw dislocations from everyday activities such as a deep yawn mentioned by dr. Richard. Imagine your jaw joint like your knee joint: two pieces of bone separated by a disc. When you open your jaw wide for chewing or yawning, that disc may temporarily pop out to the side creating bone-on-bone contact, or a "stuck" jaw.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial 46 years experience
A few things: Causes of Jaw dislocation are not completely understood.. Causes may include, misalignment (malocclusion) of or trauma to the teeth or jaw, teeth grinding (bruxism),, poor posture, stress or anxiety, arthritis or other inflammatory musculoskeletal disorders, excessive gum chewing. Treatment can be complex and beyond the scope of this answer. See a TMJ expert for guidance.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 37 years experience
See an OMS: A dislocated jaw may be caused by forceful yawning or by an impact or trauma and joint hypermobility syndrome. Occasionally, a dislocated jaw can result in bleeding or difficulty breathing and must be treated in an emergency setting by oral surgeon.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Similar questions

A 34-year-old member asked:

What can I do for a dislocated jaw?

15 doctor answers20 doctors weighed in
Dr. Media Najafi
Dentistry 23 years experience
TMJ specialist: Find a TMJ specialist in your area. Perhaps call your dentist and ask for referral. If you can't find one in your area look for an oral surgeon to do an exam and propose treatment. Hope that helps.
Last updated Dec 12, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.