San Leandro, CA

i have tmj and have been living with jaw pain on and off for 2 months now. i opened my mouth a bit wide. could that cause my jaw to dislocate?

Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry 36 years experience
TMJ pain: You are right about opening your mouth wide. Try not to do this. Eat a soft diet. If you have not seen anyone to evaluate and treat your TMJ it is important that you do. My ou can be treated.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 36 years experience
TMJ disorder: Temporo-mandibular disorder is the second most frequent cause of orofacial pain after dental pain. Proper diagnosis is the key for the successful treatment. See an orofacial pain practitioner for a consultation and treatment.
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dentistry 45 years experience
Disk Displacement?: Hard to say without a thorough history and exam. Cause, frequency and severity very important. I would see a TMJ/TMD specialist. If you are locking (which sounds like you are- closed lock,) the disk may be dislocating. Do you have clicking and/or popping when opening and/or closing?
Dr. Louis Gallia
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Causes are obsure: Sounds like a disk displacement in your TMJ. Causes of TMJ obscure. See a TMJ expert for advice.