What is the mode of action of a c-pap machine for sleep apnea?

Dr. Jeffrey Jarvis
Dentistry 38 years experience
Positive Air: The CPAP machine provides a gentle stream of air to act as a pneumatic stent to hold open your airway during sleep. I use one myself and find it quite easy and comfortable. For those who cannot tolerate it, (and your md approves) i suggest that you see a dentist who is trained in treatment of sleep apnea. An oral appliance may be helpful for you.
Dr. Carlo Hatem
Pulmonary Critical Care 26 years experience
Keep from choking: Obstructive sleep apnea, the kind treated with cpap, is caused by a relaxation of the neck muscles resulting in physical blockage of the airway. CPAP delivers pressure that stents the airways and keeps them open so you can breathe freely.

Last updated Sep 24, 2016