Does a dentist need to be see for wisdom teeth?

9 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Theodore Ritota answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Yes: You will get the most accurate answer and evaluation on what is going on with your wisdom teeth from a dentist and a few xrays.

Answered 7/3/2015

5.7k views

Dr. Rahim Bhanji answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Yes: It would be wise to see your dentist to make sure you have enough room in your mouth for the wisdom teeth to fully erupt.

Answered 8/2/2013

5.7k views

Dr. Arnold Malerman answered

Specializes in Orthodontics

Yes: Wisdom teeth, or 3rd molars, usually erupt at 18-22 if they are upright and if there is enough room for them. Impacted (partially or fully) wisdom teeth can cause all kinds of havoc. Why don't you go for a dental examination and x-rays to get an answer specific to your needs.

Answered 4/10/2013

5.2k views

Dr. Gary Sandler answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Should monitor it!: Monitoring the development of wisdom teeth is very important and here's why. If a wisdom tooth is developing off at an angle & if there is not enough room for in to come into its correct position, then removing it early rather than waiting, will make the removal easier, there will be less chance of complications and you can decide when to remove it, rather than waiting for an emergency situation!

Answered 12/10/2013

5.2k views