how long does local anesthesia last?

Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Anesthesiology 29 years experience
It depends. : The duration of action of a local anesthetic is related to the choice of the specific medication and its uptake and metabolism. Some local anesthetics last longer than others. The location of the administration and whether or not a vasoconstrictor was added to slow uptake also have impact. A discussion with your doctor about expectations is appropriate.
Dr. Ronald Achong
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 18 years experience
Depends: It can last less than an hour to over several hours. There are many different types of local anesthesia and some without epinephrine. Usually anesthetics that have epinephrine, have a longer duration of action.
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology 30 years experience
Varies: Some local anesthetics wear off within 30 minutes, while other are specifically designed to be active for up to 20 hours. It depends on the type and location of the drug. Talk to your anesthesiologist about medications that they will use.
Dr. Anthony Pollizzi
Anesthesiology 36 years experience
Hours: The LAs may last up to 24 hours depending on the type of drug used.,