how is local anesthesia administered?

Dr. Barry Rosen
General Surgery 34 years experience
Injection: Local anesthetic is typically injected by needle into the tissue immediately below the skin in the area that one wants to numb. This can usually be performed with minimal pain for procedures that are performed at the level of the skin or just below. Muscle cannot be numbed by local anesthetic, limiting it's application for most operations.
Dr. David Edsall
Anesthesiology 47 years experience
Many many ways: Local can be given by nasal spray, skin cream, needle injection. Eyedrops, gargling, nerve block can numb all parts of the body including muscle, bone, tongue.
Dr. Ernesto Pretto jr.
Anesthesiology 44 years experience
Via Injection: Local anesthetics are administered via injection, also called infiltration.
Dr. Kirpal Singh
General Surgery 24 years experience
Also there are some topical formulations but takes a while for them to work and may not penetrate deep enough.
Dec 8, 2012
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology 30 years experience
No tube: Local anesthesia is given via a series of injections designed to deaden the area being worked on. Frequently a sedative is offered or given to make the experience more pleasant.